Aug 24, 2008

Brewing a Fresh Hopped Beer




Hello, it's been a while with anything news worthy and well it was a nice summer here in Denmark ...

I have decided to finally brew a "wet hopped" beer Euro style. (Since I can’t really get a hold of wet hops from the USA). I am at the moment mashed in for the one time brewing of this beer. I will hope to make 25hl of this beer which I haven’t a name decided yet but I’m tinkering with these 2... Hopfenzupfer meaning hop picking or Hopfenhammer which means Great hops. I will hope to have this beer ready for the European Beer Festival in Copenhagen, so I will have to push it a bit.



A few details about what I'm doing:

The beer will be a simple Pilsner or "Kellerbier" which will be the frame for the massive amount of hops going into the brew. I will use over 50kg of wet hops Hallertau Mittelfruher type this hop is a wonderful aroma type. I picked them up this morning around 1030 in a little town not far from Munich, I then proceeded directly to the brewery in Roskilde (10hours later) I am starting the brew. The reason I am not waiting until tomorrow is that these hops don’t last long unless they are dried... Hence the name “Wet Hop”. They weigh quite a bit more than dried hops so the 50kg I use is more like 10 -15 kg of dried hops. I wish you all could smell the inside of my car! I was loving it all the way home.

I will update about this beer and I am eagerly waiting to taste it....

No comments: